Vacation ends when camper van explodes | Socially Keeda


COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (WOWT) – A Florida couple’s summer season trip got here to a stunning finish when their camper van caught hearth after they stopped to examine for smoke. Dennis and Linda Fitch of Port St. Joe, Florida pulled off the freeway for a fuel cease when Linda started smelling one thing.

”I heard a pair pops, and simply as I got here out, it was simply, one large ‘kaboom’, I imply it exploded,” mentioned close by resident Scott Mohr. “Then it was black smoke, and (the van was) completely engulfed.”

Couple's vacation ends with van fire
Couple’s trip ends with van hearth(Linda Fitch)

The couple pulled their van over at a Council Bluffs fuel station on the nook of thirty fifth Street and Avenue A. Linda Fitch might be heard weeping as she recorded footage on her cell phone of the van burning. They have been in a position to seize her laptop computer and their canine JoJo, however that was all they might salvage. Neither was injured.

The couple spoke off digital camera to WOWT, asking that Mohr, who provided the couple respite whereas they referred to as insurance coverage and household, clarify what they advised him.

“The wife smelled smoke so they pulled into the gas station here,” Mohr mentioned. “He looked underneath and didn’t see any fire or anything, and Linda opened the back door and it went up in flames.”

The Fitchs spent the evening in an space lodge and deliberate to fly house to Florida within the morning. They mentioned they owned the camper van for 5 years, and it was custom-made for consolation.

Council Bluffs Fire Department Fire Investigator Rick Bradshaw mentioned the investigation might take per week or two to finish.

Copyright 2021 WOWT. All rights reserved.

Leave a Comment